+61 457 092 803
I am a software engineer with many years experience producing software and systems in a variety of industries. My experience covers ETL pipelines, PKI & applied cryptography, network security, API & micro-service design, large scale hosting and general consulting.
As an Australian I am a native English speaker but I am also fluent in Thai. I am available for full-time, part-time, and contract positions with remote work being preferred.
All my publicly available source code is available at https://src.userspace.com.au and mirrored to GitHub and GitLab.
References available on request
Senior Developer Operations Engineer, MYOB
April 2019 – Present, Melbourne
An Australian multi-national corporation that provides tax, accounting and other business services software to small and medium businesses.
As a member of the observability team I am involved in all things related to logging, tracing and metrics, working almost exclusively in Go. This includes development of cross-platform tools and internal products to increase company productivity.
- Design and development of a centralised log processing pipeline (Go, AWS)
- Development of a distributed tracing service (Go, OpenTracing, Kubernetes, AWS)
- Strong focus on system performance, reliability and cost efficiency
Senior Software Developer, Seer Security
July 2018 – April 2019, Melbourne
A small security business with a flagship product used by a number of government agencies.
I was instrumental in the design and implementation of a content extraction, processing and classification engine.
- Developed a distributed and configurable content extraction engine (Go, Flatbuffers)
- Designed and developed a distributed plugin architecture (Python, Django, PostgreSQL)
- Maintained extensive tests and CI integration using machine learned datasets (Gitlab, Docker, AWS)
Senior Software Engineer, Freestyle Technology
June 2017 – July 2018, Melbourne
An IoT technology company providing hardware and software solutions to service providers and municipalities across SE Asia and Australasia. Their solution involves “smart” devices and real time control.
As a member of the data team I developed a custom ETL and rules processing pipeline to cope with data from large deployments of devices, and the APIs required to consume this data by the rest of the system.
- Developed distributed network stream processing engines handling many 1000s of messages per second (Go)
- Designed and implemented numerous supporting APIs (Python, Awk, Shell, Docker, AWS)
- Designed, implemented and administered supporting services (PostgreSQL, PL/pgSQL, InfluxDB, TimescaleDB)
- Maintained excellent test coverage and CI services (TAP, Jenkins, Groovy)
Senior Software Engineer, KL Data/ARKpX
March 2015 – December 2016, Melbourne & remote
A small team developing a cross-platform, encrypted storage solution much like ‘Dropbox’ but using client-side, PKI cryptography. Products in use by multiple government organisations.
I was instrumental in the transition from a Java based product to a platform independent solution, developing the core cryptographic library used by multiple front-ends.
- Developed custom ASN.1 schemas for CMS (RFC 5952) communications (ASN.1)
- Created extensive cross-browser test suite and maintained CI (Node, Bamboo CI, Selenium)
- Maintained UI elements across all modern browsers (AngularJS)
Principle, User Space
April 2006 – Present, Melbourne, Asia & remote
Melbourne based hosting, development and consulting services to Australian and SE Asian clients.
- Development custom machine learning pipelines for Thailand language customers (Go, Python)
- Maintained 30+ Linux and BSD virtual machines including highly available databases and load balanced servers (BSD, Ansible, HAProxy, Postgresql)
- Administered free DNS service, custom dynamic DNS and OpenNIC services (PowerDNS, TinyDNS, Python)
Over the years:
- Developed custom hosting control panels (Go, AngularJS, Ruby on Rails, Shell)
- Developed and maintained custom support and monitoring software for clients (Python, Shell)
- Built custom REST API for a number of SaaS clients (Go, Sinatra)
- Built custom e-commerce integrations for international clients (Magento, Spree, Ruby, SQL, PHP, XML)
Software Engineer, Ayuda Hosting
February 2010 – February 2015, Melbourne & remote
A traditional, “bare-metal” hosting and consulting company with a small team based in the Melbourne CBD.
I was involved in all areas of network design and installation, project planning and cost estimation. I worked for one year in the Melbourne office and then remotely from interstate and overseas.
- Managed large, redundant networks, firewalls and VMs (Xen, Keepalived, IPTables, IPSec, PF)
- Developed and improved control panel and billing software (PHP, SQL, Shell)
- Developed in-house CMS software with a custom ORM and plugin system
- Implemented large configuration systems (CFEngine, Puppet)
- Administrated highly available and redundant server clusters (Apache, Nagios, Postfix)
- Brought many large projects to deployment
Web developer, Sensory Networks
February 2005 – April 2006, Sydney
Developed and maintained internal, cross-continent warehouse application (PHP, HTML, CSS, Lua, MySQL, XSLT)
October 2002 – February 2005, Outback Australia
Deployment of BSD VPNs, LDAP and email systems.
Programmer/DBA, National Telecoms Group
January 2001 – October 2002, Sydney
Developed large CRM used by 300+ seat call centers (VB, SalesLogix)
Programmer, DefineIT/Macquarine Health
2000 – 2001, Sydney
Maintained embedded C/C++ code for monitoring units.
2001 Bachelor of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Sydney
1994 Bachelor of Applied Science and Computer Technology, Swinburne University (deferred)