+61 457 092 803
I am a software engineer based in Australia.
Over many teams and years of experience in a variety of environments I have developed a broad range of skills and designed & delivered some high quality software. I enjoy the “craft” of software development and try to keep abreast of current research (in more areas than I often need!) and practices, evaluating them in current projects and teams.
I have been pivotal in the success of many teams, both as a player and lead, with much experience in training and mentoring, being able to explain technical topics clearly.
My publicly available source code is available at https://src.userspace.com.au and some things mirrored at GitHub and/or GitLab.
References available on request
Principal Software Engineer, MYOB (April 2019 – present, Australia)
An Australian multi-national corporation that provides tax, accounting and other business services software to small and medium businesses.
As a principal engineer I am across a number of areas as a technical lead, particularly in the observability space and DevOps services.
- Architecture and implementation of centralised event processing service (Go, AWS, OpenTelemetry)
- Development of a distributed tracing service (Go, OpenTracing, Kubernetes, AWS)
- Architecture and lead for centralised service catalogue (TypeScript)
- Mentoring and coaching across multiple teams
- Strong focus on system performance, reliability, and cost efficiency
Solutions Architect, UserSpace (2006 – present, Melbourne, Asia & remote)
Melbourne based hosting, development and consulting services to Australian and SE Asian clients.
- Consulting for the ISO/IEC 20248 (DigSig) 2021 revision, particularly the applied crytography components
- Design and development of custom machine learning pipelines for Thai language customers (Go, Python)
- Provisioning of BSD based hosting services including highly available databases and load balanced servers (BSD, Ansible, HAProxy, Postgresql)
- Providing free DNS service, custom dynamic DNS and OpenNIC services (PowerDNS, TinyDNS, Python)
Over the years:
- Developed custom hosting control panels (Go, AngularJS, Ruby on Rails, Shell)
- Developed and maintained custom support and monitoring software for clients (Python, Shell)
- Designed and built custom REST API for a number of SaaS clients (Go, Sinatra)
- Designed and built custom e-commerce integrations for international clients (Magento, Spree, Ruby, SQL, PHP, XML)
Senior Software Developer, Seer Security (July 2018 – April 2019, Melbourne)
A small security business with products used by a number of government agencies.
I was the technical lead/architect for a social-network content extraction and classification engine, built to government specifications.
- Developed a distributed content extraction engine and plugin architecture (Go, Python, PostgreSQL)
- Maintained extensive tests and CI integration using machine learning datasets (Gitlab, Docker, AWS)
Senior Software Engineer, Freestyle Technology (June 2017 – July 2018, Melbourne)
An IoT technology company providing hardware and software solutions to service providers and municipalities across SE Asia and Australasia. Their solution involves “smart” devices and real time control.
I was pivotal in the design and architecture of a custom ETL and rules processing pipeline, ingesting from large deployments of devices, and the APIs required to consume this data.
- Developed distributed network stream processing engines ingesting from millions of devices (Go)
- Designed and implemented numerous supporting APIs (Python, Awk, Shell, Docker, AWS)
- Designed, implemented and administered supporting services and infrastructure (PostgreSQL, PL/pgSQL, InfluxDB, TimescaleDB)
- Maintained excellent test coverage and CI services (TAP, Jenkins, Groovy)
Senior Software Engineer, KL Data/ARKpX (2015 – 2017, Remote)
A small team developing a cross-platform, encrypted storage solution much like ‘Dropbox’ but using client-side, PKI cryptography. Products in use by multiple government departments.
I was the lead developer on the core cryptographic library to be used by multiple front-ends.
- Developed custom ASN.1 schemas for CMS (RFC 5952) communications (ASN.1, X.509)
- Created extensive cross-browser test suite and maintained CI (Node, Bamboo CI, Selenium)
- Maintained UI elements across all modern browsers (AngularJS)
Software Engineer, Ayuda Hosting (2010 – 2015, Melbourne & remote)
A traditional, “bare-metal” hosting and consulting company with a small team based in the Melbourne CBD.
I was involved in all areas of network design, data centre rack planning & installation, project planning & cost estimation, client programming and consulting.
- Managed large, redundant networks, firewalls and VMs (Xen, Keepalived, IPTables, IPSec, PF)
- Developed custom control panel and billing software (PHP, SQL, Shell)
- Developed in-house CMS software with a custom ORM and plugin system
- Implemented large configuration systems (CFEngine, Puppet)
- Administrated highly available and redundant server clusters (Apache, Nagios, Postfix)
- Brought many large projects to completion
Web developer, Sensory Networks (2005 – 2006, Sydney)
Developed and maintained internal, cross-continent warehouse application (PHP, HTML, CSS, Lua, MySQL, XSLT)
Programmer/analyst, Contract (2002 – 2005, Outback Australia)
Custom solutions for mining contractors. Deployment of BSD VPNs, LDAP and email systems.
Programmer/DBA, National Telecoms Group (2001 – 2002, Sydney)
Development on a large CRM used by 300+ seat call centers (VB, SalesLogix)
Programmer/Sysadmin, DefineIT/Macquarine Health (2000 – 2001, Sydney)
Hardware support and maintenance of C/C++ code.
2001 Bachelor of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Sydney
1994 Bachelor of Applied Science and Computer Technology, Swinburne University (deferred)